Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 42 - Sad Blender Story

Yesterday was a monumental day but I was too tired to blog as I had sufficiently talked and eaten for the majority of the day. I got my bands off at my appointment and now I only wear them at night for one week. In a week I will see my orthodontist for the first time since before surgery. She will hopefully fix some parts on my braces that have loosened up during surgery. Afterwards she will call my surgeon and report to him how everything is going on my mouth in regards to orthodontics. I will stop wearing my elastic bands at night one day before my ortho appointment. This way my mouth will be completely free for 24 hours and hopefully I'll be able to open my mouth a bit wider.
Doug and I at my 6th week post-op appointment.
Currently I can open my mouth about 1/2 a cm. I haven't measured it but this is what it feels like. I'm not to open my mouth wider than it will go, but overtime it will gradually open wider. I can eat soft foods such as scrambled eggs which I had for breakfast. I also had a piece of toast covered in butter and strawberry jam. After cutting it in tiny pieces it was able to go down easily. Pasta, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple sauce, yogurt, jell-o, macaroni and cheese and Ghiradelli fudge brownies are all great options for a soft food diet. Doug and I made the latter last night and they were oh my God, to die for. I've tasted brownies in my frequent ice cream shakes, but not like this. I could feel the soft gooeyness in my mouth as I washed it down with chocolate ice cream. Soft foods are good. I also tried french fries today. I ate about five fries. I'm taking it slow and considered this a great improvement as last McDees experience I merely lapped all the salt off the fry. One step at a time.
Aforementioned Ghiradelli fudge brownies for dad's birthday.
 I retired my blender today and put it back on its perch in the corner of the kitchen. I feel more swollen today, probably from the sudden increase in talking and chewing. My jaw is becoming adjusted to using the chompers again. It's definitely a lot of work having to chew my own food and it's definitely a compromise. The blender was doing all the work for me but I was suffering in consistency. Now I got flavor, body, texture and consistency but I'm a little puffed out. It's a fair trade. I'll take it.
Teethy smile and I'm suddenly not overpowering the picture with my teeth.
Doug and I preparing another delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & Questions