Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 22 - Wii Bowling and "Unwired" Food

I visited with my surgeon today for my three week post-operative visit. He gave me new elastics and added a bunch in different directions, kind of creating little trapezoids on my surgical hooks, pulling my teeth in directions that cause me much pain, but in the long run is going to give me a great smile. He also let me brush my teeth before putting my new elastics on. I asked if I could brush my tongue and I was given the okay, but I wasn't able to even get my tongue out of my mouth. I could open my mouth only a little bit even without the elastics on, as all my jaw bones are healing, but it was still good to brush my teeth for the first time in three weeks. Doc said that my mouth is looking very clean, and that I must be using my Waterpik often, as I am. The Waterpik helps a great deal and my mouth feels quite sanitary, except for my tongue which deserves to be brushed thoroughly and will be, soon.

I also got some good news. Come next weeks appointment (four weeks post-op) there is a chance that I will have to wear my elastics only at night. I am crossing my fingers. Although I know I won't be able to eat real food right away, even the thought of not being banded-shut makes my mouth water. I thought today about all the food I want to eat when I am able. I want chicken salad from my favorite local cafe. I want an Uno burger. I want KFC. Doug asked why. "You don't like KFC," he said. Well, I do now, after seeing all those monotonous commercials, they are so tempting! I want Wendy's nuggets. I don't want sweets though, since I've been basically living off of ice cream and Ensure, I am totally sugared out. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten but I need to stop, I'm making myself hungry!

Anyways, if I'm "unwired" next week, this means I can slide in soft foods, such as mashed potatoes. I could still blend up my food if I wanted to, but I wouldn't have to worry about it not being liquidy enough. Perhaps I could even use my baby spoon. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but gee I'm hopeful for next week.

So, Doug and I played some Wii Sports baseball and Super Mario Brothers. This isn't the only exercise I've had today though, we also took a walk around the block, and went to Borders today to see their leftover inventory before they totally go out of business in nine days. We spent a good hour, but unless you would like to purchase one of the 700 copies of Sarah Palin's book, America By Heart for $2.00, then I guess you're out of luck!

I had an almost-normal dinner tonight. Mom, dad and Doug had delicious looking and smelling, grilled chicken and Shepherd's Pie. I blended up a cup of melon, one kiwi, one banana and a little bit of apple juice. They all blended wonderfully since these fruits have lots of water in them. It was a good texture and went down great. Secondly, I blended up the Shepherd's Pie and was astonished that it came out perfect. I added some milk to help mix it up. I feel nourished for once and I got in a real-meal tonight.

However, I'm back on my narcotic pain meds. Before even leaving the hospital, the pain from the pressure of the new elastics kicked in. I took some kids liquid Ibuprofen. It didn't do much, if anything. I think I may be too old for it, so I took the heavy stuff when I got home. I'm making sure to take it with food though, as I hadn't been before and that probably contributed to my shaky tremors and dizziness. At least I was able to give my body a three day break from taking any hardcore pain medicine.

I can't wait till next week. Peking Dumplings and chicken fingers, I forgot to list them above, but they are so delicious and how could I forget them? I can't wait to have them as soon as I can eat solid food :)
Doug and I, with Wii Sports tennis in the background :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & Questions