Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 33 - Garlic, Spices and Flavor

Since I'm almost all healed up, I plan to dwindle down a bit on the blog posts and post every day or so. Swelling is almost completely gone, however, my acne is uproarious due to aforementioned swelling, and my oily skin is still present too. All thanks to the swelling which thankfully is diminishing.

Mealtime today was enjoyable. For lunch I served up some Chunky Campbells soup, official soup of the NFL. However, this puzzles me. I’m not sure how such tough football men can eat this regularly. Doug had a bowl too and his wasn’t blended, yet he commented that the soup had a very boring taste, or lack-thereof. I added some pasta to it to give it some more oomph. I followed up with blended farm stand melon (none of that diseased Wally World fruit), honey yogurt, and one banana.

Doug and I after eating our Chunky soup.

Dinnertime was delicious, and more filling than lunch. Dad grilled chicken and sausage but since I’m not sure how sausage would blend with the skin and all the delicious mystery items incorporated in sausage, so I took a big chunk of chicken, cut it up into small pieces, and added it to my macaroni and cheese mixture. I made a cheesy mac n’ cheese for the fam and segregated out a small portion into a separate pan for myself. I added extra milk, some half and half, sour cream, a few spoonfuls of minced garlic and olive oil (really gives it some spunk) and about a half cup of water. Then I loaded up the blender and pureed it all together. 

I could tell from one wiff that it would taste great by the aroma that emitted from the blender. The garlic was the key ingredient and really made it special. It was much better than the Hot Dinner Drink recipe I tried a few days home from the hospital. The mere problem with that was that the recipe didn’t call for any flavorful ingredients. It simply requested milk, rice or pasta, and chicken. A successful blended meal requires spice, flavor, or anything tasty.

I had hummus today. Everytime that little hummus container lands on the kitchen table I ooh and aaah at it, but today I said hey, I’m going in for the good stuff. I dipped my finger and got a little tad on the end and planted it in front of my bottom teeth. I’ve got mobility and movement now so I can squeeze yummy foods down. I’m also getting lazy with the blender routine so for dessert I left out some ice cream for a while in a glass and let it melt. Slowly the chocolate goodness would be melted enough for me to get down a nice big sip, or slurp. It’s a little time consuming but tastes better than blended ice cream because it’s not all frothy.

I also got more Ensure, or actually, fake Ensure (Wally brand) because it’s a dollar cheaper, and fyi it tastes exactly the same. It comes in an 8 oz pop-top can, which is convenient and handy for on the go, just like the bottles. I got the regular vanilla flavor this time as the Clinical Strength ones basically taste like medicine, or something served in a clinic – appropriately termed clinical strength.

It twas’ a good day. I'm not going insane anymore at the sight of good food. I can eat good food, it's just in a different form and heck, I'll be eating real food in due time. My appetite is not skyrocketing anymore either; I get hungry like a normal person but not insanely hungry. 


Goodnight! That's all folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & Questions