Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 29 - Who Doesn't Own a Blender?

My blender gets a good work out, each and every day. It used to sit idle and not get much attention, but that all changed when I got socked in the jaw, intentionally of course. My blender became a big part of my life, where it goes - I go, except the Chinese restaurant, where Chinamen are instructed to happily serve us and not call us a-holes because I have special needs and am temporarily wired shut.
I forgot to photograph all the delicious food I drank today, so this photo is of Doug and I from a few days ago. I would take a photo now, but my face is extremely oily from the remnants of swelling that still remain, plus I've talked way too much today and my jaw is upset with me and saying "ouch, please stop talking." 

So I got my hopes up and I'm still banded shut. At my 4th post-operative visit today, my surgeon was impressed with the cleanliness of my mouth. He was also impressed with the position of my jaws, or shall we say, my new bite. However, he wasn't sure whether or not my bite looked perfect simply because I had been wearing fairly tight elastics for the past several weeks, or if it genuinely was in good shape. So he left me un-banded for about thirty minutes, allowed me to brush my teeth and instructed me to talk as much as I could and gently move my jaws side to side.

First, I brushed my teeth and was happy to see that I could open my mouth up a good amount, more so than last week. I could even get my tongue out a bit and I jumped at this opportunity and scrubbed the tip just a bit, still not wanting to open too wide. Then dad handed me the box of trivia cards and I read them off one after another, practicing my enunciation and opening and closing my mouth. When the doc came back in, he appeared very happy that my jaws still looked great and aligned, even after I had brushed my teeth and talked for a good half hour. But, just to be on the safe side, he wired me up once again with thinner bands that will stretch (and probably break) easily, so I'll be careful with these ones. He asked me if I'll be okay one more week wearing these, I answered that I will have to be! Heck, what is a couple more weeks on a liquid diet anyways? Pure hell? Nah, just kidding. It's quite lovely actually, particularly if you have a busy schedule and are always on the go. Many minutes are saved when you do not spend time gluttonously inhaling large quantities of lard-ish food that tastes, so wonderfully good.

At next week's appointment I'll most likely get two bands, one on each side of my mouth that will gently hold my jaws together. I'm guessing that after this I will only have to wear the elastics at night. A few more post-op visits will follow, every few months (after the next two) to verify that my bite is where it should be.

I was sitting in the surgeons chair thinking how hungry I was. This feeling was much more intensified after we had been there for two hours. Dad decided he couldn't drive home hungry. He decided it would be proper to get Chinese food and sit in front of me and eat it. We asked the waiter if he could blend up some food for me. He said no and then started talking about soy sauce, so I'm guessing he had no clue what was happening. I was wrong. (See a-hole comment above.) For who doesn't own a blender? I sucked out all the broth from my wonton soup, and took the leftover wontons home to blend up later.

So, I'm a little bummed out about the Greek festival which will be only a couple of days after my 5th post-op appointment. Going with today's notion that I'll be in bands still, I won't be able to eat this deliciousness and this makes me sad. However, it does de-complicate things because the Rochester Fair is that same day and James Wesley will be performing. I think this helps in my decision of which event I should attend. I was so confused on which one to choose!
James Wesley performing his hit song "Real".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & Questions