Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 28 - Like It, Love It, Done with It

Do we all know what tomorrow is? Tomorrow is my fourth post-operative appointment, and I'm hoping for great news. I've been massaging my cheeks each night, which by the way, everyone should do. It feels marvelous. Actually every part of your body should be massaged, particularly any zone that is achy, or feeling neglected. If your feet hurt, you should massage them and give them attention, that's all they are asking for!

Anyways, my swelling in my cheeks is way down, from what I can tell, but lets hope the surgeon agrees and lets me wear my elastics only at night. Glendi Greek fest is three days away, so it's sunken in by now that I will not be in attendance this year. I have marked my calendar for other joyous events such as our local Greek festival on September 24, and of course a family wedding at the end of September, which happens to be two days after my six week post-operative appointment, talk about good timing! If all continues to go well, tomorrow I will begin on soft foods, (i.e. mashed potatoes, baked beans, scrambled eggs, probably not all together at once) and by six weeks I will be working my way onto regular foods.

Fall used to be my favorite season, back when I was young and enjoyed riding my bicycle through piles of leaves, :) then I got tired of the chilly weather, but now the cool air coming in feels rather refreshing.  September and October festivities are right around the bend, such as apple picking, pumpkin picking, hayrides, and probably my favorite, eating fresh donuts at the farm stand. I guess I'll stop talking about food as soon as I'm allowed to eat whatever I please. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I'll continue as long as you keep reading my blog!

I'm considering posting recipes that I've encountered during my jaw surgery endeavor, for you to have handy at all times. Who knows when you may need some great blenderized recipes, but I truly hope you don't need them too soon.

Speaking of great recipes for the blender, see Melon, Banana, Yogurt Smoothie recipe below, (my own little creation, but you can basically try out any of your favorite fruits --neglect kiwi if you can, it's somewhat pucker when blended):

Ingredients

1/2 a cantaloupe
1 small, ripe banana
1/2 cup any flavor yogurt (try honey vanilla yogurt)
A splash of apple juice (a couple of tablespoons)

Blend until smooth.
I try it.
I like it.
I'm happily content :)
Today's the first day I haven't been constantly eating, because I've been eating substantial meals throughout the day that are actually quite good. I've had zero Ensures or Boosts today. I had blended Progresso turkey noodle soup for lunch. My fruity treat above was satisfying, nourishing and filling. I made chicken broccoli fettucini alfredo for dinner. In a small sauce pan I scooped in a good sized amount, and added extra milk, sour cream, water and butter, to make sure it was extra fattening, and to ensure that it would taste good all liquified. I blended it up and downed it in less than a few minutes. It was very cheesy and delicious, and I downed two glasses. 

Although today's nourishment tasted just delightful, this isn't to say that I'm not ready to actually feel my food in my mouth. I've been missing out on texture. I didn't feel like cleaning the blender just now, so I left out the ice cream for awhile, plopped it into a glass and slowly drank it all, letting it melt as I went. I have to say it tasted better than blended ice-cream because there was no fizz on the top. That is the way to complete balanced nutrition. A glass a day keeps the doctor away... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments & Questions